Sunday, January 25, 2009

On the Road With Lincoln


Yesterday's MAD was the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum. No, I didn't travel to Springfield, Illinois. The Library came to the District.

Met my son for lunch and figured this being DC I'd spot at least several museums between home and him. Right across from his office was a nondescript trailer with an "Open" sign and a banner proclaiming A. Lincoln Self-Made in America . I had just seen Lincoln's handwritten victory speech on Friday so this was a perfect invitation. Especially since I don't have any plans for Springfield soon.

The trailer housed a small yet perfect exhibit about Lincoln's life. There were artifacts - always appealing to me - real and replica - of books he read, invitations, Mary Lincoln's music box and maps (the best!). My favorite part was the animated map (turns out to be a DVD) showing the Civil War In Four Minutes or "one week in one second". The borders of the Confederacy expand and contract, the sites of battles explode in puffs and a running casualty tally appears at the lower right hand corner. As they say "One picture....."


Found out that there were many funerals for Lincoln as the train carrying his body made its way from DC to Springfield. One was held in Buffalo on April 27, 1865 and I'd like to find out more about it.

This exhibit is travelling around the country for two (2) years and is a vivid introduction to Lincoln and his times. It made me particularly aware of how much more I would like to know about American History in general and Lincoln in particular. Team of Rivals and April 1865 are now on my to-read list.

2009 is the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth and there will be many events and exhibits devoted to him and his role in shaping the US. Get ready.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for stopping by! We will be following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete