Thursday, January 29, 2009

MAD about Masons


Back in the District after three days in Buffalo, I wanted somewhere close and free so I walked over a few blocks to the House of the Temple, the Headquarters Building of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern District, U.S.A.. This building, itself of historic and architectural significance, also contains a museum and library. And my grandfather Papa Sam was a Mason so I had lots of reasons to pick this spot today.

Full disclosure: I had been here before several years ago (Note: The rules of MAD allow return visits) and went today in order to be in the only museum I knew of that contained a room devoted to Burl Ives right next to a room devoted to J. Edgar Hoover. I was disappointed to learn that the Hoover collection had unfortunately (for me) been relocated to the Newseum. Burl's stuff was still there.

Also there was Colin Bornmann, a GWU student from Colorado who is a guide at the Temple. I was lucky enough to have him give me a personal tour of the rooms that I wanted to see. His knowledge, articulateness and enthusiam made me forget my disappointment about J. Edgar.

The Library happens to be the oldest library open to the public in the District and includes the oldest Masonic book published in America (Anderson's Constitutions, printed by Benjamin Franklin in 1734) along with Freemasons for Dummies. Besides Burl Ives', there are museum exhibits devoted to Americanism, to Albert Pike - Grand Commander from 1859 - 1891, to the collection of gifts the Grand Commander has received world wide and to the Masons' philanthropic efforts and more.


Construction of the building started in 1911 and was completed in 1915, despite that fact that no steel, concrete or then-modern construction techniques were used. The Temple Room has 9 foot thick walls and looking up 100 feet into a dome-like skylight I couldn't see any apparent means holding it up. Materials used in the Executive Chamber include gold leaf and carved Russian walnut The beauty and richness of this building, which is open to the public free of charge, is something that would be interesting to almost anyone. I think it's out of the way for tourists but I am surprised by the number of people who pass by frequently, comment on its unusual appearance, but haven't bothered to go inside.

The Masons raise about $1 million a day and give much to the community in the way of philanthropy. They also give anyone the opportunity to visit a unique and fascinating structure. So go.

No comments:

Post a Comment