Sunday, May 3, 2009

Azaleas!


Last week I was told that the azaleas would be peaking this weekend. So MAD waited until now and got stuck with a rainy day.

Big deal.

MAD, MR. MAD and MADYS (MAD's younger son) took an excursion today to the National Arboretum to see the azaleas. Hillsides of azaleas - lavender, red, white fuchsia and pink. One of such a soft pink that it looked like growing cotton candy. I was overwhelmed by the color and variety. Despite the dark day, the colors were intensified by the rain.

We didn't get to see azaleas like this in Buffalo. Maybe it has something to do with the difference in growing zones. I remember them in the DC area from when I lived in Arlington in the spring of 1973.

And I believe that I remember them with my heart from the magic placed that was my grandparents' house in Mount Vernon, NY. Their azaleas were clipped, formal foundation plants. I seem to remember that a few of them were transplanted to my parents' house when we moved there. The exposure must have not been as good and they didn't seem to bloom as well. Maybe I am imagining the whole thing , but I have always loved azaleas and this very early childhood recollection seems as good a reason as any.

As if MAD needed a reason to enjoy azaleas in bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment